Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Packrat? Whaddaya mean?

Recent cleaning finds:
  • An index card with cheat codes for Descent, a game I haven't played in at least 10 years. I still remembered one of them: GABBAGABBAHEY, but I didn't know what it did: it enabled cheats. Never did beat that game without 'em.
  • "Sorry we didn't hire you but yadda yadda yadda" letters from the first couple jobs I ever applied for after finishing my undergrad degree.
  • Stationery I haven't touched in nearly 10 years.
  • A word search puzzle book.
  • A homemade card in my sister's blocky childish print, telling me she was proud to be my sister.
  • Two started Sudoku books.
  • A dorm address of a friend who has since graduated.
  • A picture drawn by a then-first grader whose classroom I volunteered in about 9 years ago.
  • A card from my grandfather, written in English (which was not his first language, either).
  • A started blanket I set aside because the yarn I bought was a close-out bargain and I didn't have enough.
  • More emo poems.
  • Countless sets of driving instructions to people's houses.
  • Letters saying I made the Dean's list.
  • A note of apology from my sister for making me mad, begging my forgiveness, complete with a "yes" and a "no" for me to circle.
  • (Costume) jewelry I forgot I had and probably only wore once.
  • The Phi Theta Kappa cords I earned but never wore (didn't go to the commencement for my associate's degree).
  • Floppy disks with old documents and MIDI files on them.
  • A "contract" I made my sister transcribe and sign, with witnesses, stipulating the terms under which I would go out with her. (...She was an annoying kid when she was younger... as was I, in my own way...)
  • A pearl necklace my grandmother gave me, which needs to be re-strung.
  • Boarding passes for various flights I've taken over the last 11 years or so.
  • Toy mice for the cat.
  • ...More books.
---
After an industrious afternoon of cleaning, I sat down to resume one of my started crochet projects. I'd been using a cheap-o plastic hook, which was starting to crack. Fixed it with Scotch tape, then remembered I found the steel hook in that size earlier. I couldn't help but lament, before I chucked the broken one in the trash, "It's all fun and games until someone loses an I [hook]." Response: "OK, now you have absolutely no room to criticize my sense of humor."

----------------
Now playing: Amy Winehouse - Some Unholy War
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

danny said...

Awesome. I've been saving random stuff since I was like 7 years old. I'm not even sure where most of it is at.