Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lost priorities

Last Thursday, I heard from a friend I haven't seen in a few months and probably haven't talked to in as long. I love hearing from her, her tales of academia and travel, and in exchange I try to make my life sound as interesting as possible. I'm not a huge phone talker, but our conversations, for as infrequent as they are, generally last 1-2 hours.

We'd been playing phone tag for a week or two before last Thursday. Around 7:45 Central Standard Time, my phone rings, and I do my usual sprint to catch it.

"Everything OK?" my friend asked. "You sound distracted."

"I'm fine. Just had to run to catch the phone, and I was eating dinner."

"Oh. Do you want to call back after you're done eating?"

"Sure." I paused, doing a brief mental calculation. "Actually, this is going to sound horrible. Can I call you back after Lost?"

She laughed, all was well, and I called back later. Still, it was an interesting moment to realize how I had arranged my priorities, if only on a temporary basis.

No comments: