Saturday, September 29, 2007

From my messy bookmarks folder to my... blog

It's been a long week. The semester's starting to wear me down.

Normally, I sit down to write, and though the words may start in a trickle, they start to flow as my mind wakes up (yes, this is a brilliant idea at 1:00 a.m....). Tonight, I've logged in and out of Blogger several times, trying to kick start the words, clicking through the drafts for a thought to complete. No luck.

If I let myself not post just this once, I'll probably tumble back off the regular update wagon. So I'll share some links instead.

PC World's "The 10 Funniest Sites on the Internet" is a good place to start. This article is what led to two of the "Vices" links in my sidebar: Overheard in New York and Pictures of Walls. Both appeal to the voyeuristic impulse.

I've always enjoyed sitting back and listening to exchanges of conversations, a hobby made more interesting by the complete lack of context, but in my sleep-deprived haze lately, I've been rather unaware of my surroundings, so Overheard fills a bit of an absence. It's been a while since I heard anything quite as blunt as some of these anecdotes, though.

Pictures of Walls can be funny by spells, but many of the things written on walls in those pictures aren't. It reminds me a lot of Postsecret with the candidness and range of messages. Some writings are funny ("This wall is boring. Fix it." "I will."), others are political ("War is menstruation envy"), some are quirky ("U made me question myself... / ...that's so cool!!!"), and others are vulnerable ("HOLD ME" written in chalk over a "CLOSE" sign).

Lolcatz is a bizarre cross between Postsecret and I Can Has Cheezburger?, veering much closer to the ICHC end of the spectrum.

I don't always want silliness, though. I've spend inordinate amounts of time on LiveScience, clicking through related article after related article. It's like Wikipedia surfing, but more respectable and just as fun.

In the spirit of my favorite season, I also found MSNBC's Autumn in America, with readers' submitted photos of autumn's splendor. So many stunning shots... one of these years, I'll get to see a New England autumn. Until then, this is cheaper than a ticket.

And that's it. I leave with one of my favorite (so far) images from Pictures of Walls:


It's a valid question I've been asking myself lately. But that's a post for another day ;).

No comments: