Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Five blogs I read

I found an article on Yahoo about BlogDay. I'm a bit late with this, but better late than never, eh? So, here are five blogs I read and why.

  • Scrivenings - When I was considering grad school, I stumbled upon his blog. I've been lurking faithfully since (actually, I may have popped up once or twice under any infinite number of possible pseudonyms...). There's a bit of everything--teaching, life issues, kid stories, art, and pictures. And he had green hair at the time, if memory serves, which struck me as pretty cool.
  • Writing as Jo(e) - I believe I found this one through Scrivenings. Beautiful storytelling and accompanying pictures. I've probably been lurking just as long at her blog, too. Not very good manners on my part. Whenever I try and convince people that the world of blogging is more than just 13-year-olds with Xangas or people with too much time on their hands and the convenience of a ready Internet connection, Jo(e)'s is the first one I link them to.
  • Cranky Epistles - Get yer fix of snark here. I honestly don't remember when I first stumbled on her blog, but there's a good chance my computer monitor does.
  • Joshua's Walkabout - I knew Josh through the campus peace group I was part of during my senior year. For anyone (like myself) who's ever thought about the Peace Corps, it's an interesting chance for the vicarious experience. Lot of food for thought on this one.
  • Postsecret - This one may technically be cheating, but I don't care. It's not one person's blog, but it's more of a collective baring of the soul. The idea is that people send in their secrets anonymously, and the result is an interesting mixture. They run the range from heartbreaking secrets about abuse or being in the closet to declarations of having found happiness to the sometimes bizarre. It's fascinating to see how much in common we have with our fellow humans, whether for good or ill.

No comments: