Friday, July 31, 2009

Lessons

The last time I was on roller skates was years ago before I upgraded to roller blades and then abandoned said blades, so at least 12 or 13 years. I've forgotten a lot in that time.

  • The only way to get anywhere to to get out there. Sitting on the sidelines and watching people fly by is unsatisfying at best.
  • You may fall, it's true, but more likely than not, you'll wobble, adjust, and move on, pride the only injury.
  • Let the glide take you, as scary as that feels to relinquish the illusion of control. You may not go in exactly the direction you wanted, but fighting it is an invitation to stumble or unbalance yourself.
  • Don't think; do. Skate, and don't stop to over-analyze because that too is an invitation to falter.
Of course I'm still talking about roller skating. Whatever else would I be talking about?

----------------
Now playing: Soul Asylum - Runaway Train (live)
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

danny said...

I learned how to skate by following right behind people who I didn't know but seemed good at what they were doing. I would watch and mimic the movements they made, and I learned pretty fast that way.